Why do we even have that lever.
Notorious arter and reader of comics.
This is mainly an Marvel Comics/movies + Lord of the Rings art blog with a slight smattering of Game of Thrones, Parks and Recreation, Community and more.
I am always happy to answer any asks sent my way!
This blog is occasionally NSFW and NOT spoiler-free. If you ever need me to tag anything, trigger or otherwise, please let me know!
Hulk strongest there is, old chap!
Do what makes you laugh, everyone! Draw or write or watch or think about whatever makes you smile. And tonight at Draw Class*, talking about Hulk as a Victorian-era Strongman made me laugh like a madwoman!
*my good friend Larkin Ford, who’s comic EHMM THEORY will soon be published (EEE!), is teaching a cartooning class at a local gallery owned by Marikolove's mom. She, her man Dragonklaw82, and me went to a test class tonight to make sure nothing like, exploded or anything. It was a lot of fun!
You are SO welcome for anything I’ve helped with, and I do in fact have some words of encouragement!
Ignore the internet. Ignore The Big Bang Theory, and ignore every other show that’s supposed to represent ‘Nerd Culture’*
Ignore every horror store you have heard about new nerds being chased out of comic stores with flaming torches and copies of the comic book price guide.
Yes, some of those stories are true, but here is the thing. If you walk into a clothing store for the first time - there is a chance you will have a bad experience. Same with a Sporting goods store. A Gaming store. Any kind of store. The only difference with Comic Book stores is that, because of the popular influence of shows like The Big Bang Theory, these stores have garnered a mostly false reputation for being a hostile environment for fledgling nerds, newbs, and most of all, women.
Yes, sometimes these horror stories are true. But they’re also a relic of the past. The attitude of the comic book community is changing - just look at the outrage caused by the hiring of Orson Scott Card, whose Homophobia would have been happily overlooked just a few years ago. These horrible, judgmental stories keeping fans out of comic book stories are a thing of the past, and they’re getting increasingly rarer.
More than that, these are businesses that want to make money! You know what makes me HAPPIEST at work? When someone comes in and says to me ‘I have NEVER been into a comic book store before, I saw the movies and liked them, and I want to know more!’
That makes me happy because there are more people to support the books I love, more people to talk comics with, and more people entering the community that I have devoted my life to. But more than that? IT MEANS I CAN SELL A LOT OF BOOKS AND MAKE MY BOSS REALLY HAPPY. So be honest! Walk into that store and say HEY. I AM NEW AND I WANT TO THROW MONEY AT YOU. SUGGEST SOME BOOKS FOR ME!
Anyone that would ridicule you for that is a fucking idiot, not worth your time, and doesn’t know how to run a business.
So good luck, anon, and sorry for my novel of a reply. This is obviously something very close to my heart, and I can’t wait to hear how it goes :)
*Except Community. Last week’s episode was what The Big Bang Theory should be.
I’m sure I won’t be the first to ask this, on my dash alone, so PEOPLE. TAG YOUR SHIT.
I recommend using the tag IM3SPOILERS. If we can get a consistent tag going for the majority of fandom, we will have some VERY happy people. Tag trailers, gifs, stills, quotes, EVERYTHING. Be good to your fellow fans! SPREAD THE WORD. GET THIS TO YOUR FOLLOWERS.
This sketch has been sitting around for ages so I finally decided to finish it
Fixing stuff is easier when your hammer has laser-targeted Stark Industries Fix-Missiles™ thank you very much
I JUST SCREAMED.
Non-denominational winter-themed ornaments! As promised :) NGL, I like these more than the Christmas ones. More ornament-y.
Just the original group for now, because I have to get back to real work. I work hard for you, Marvel Fandom!
I don’t usually post warm-ups, buuuuut…
NEVER FORGET THAT YOU ALL WANTED THIS.
Thank you for the 2000 followers :)
I am SO GLAD to hear that! You’ve picked the three best comics I can recommend. David Aja is my all time favorite artist, and Carol Danvers is my hero. You’re a nerd after my own heart!
So, as you like what you’ve read so far, let me recommend some more in the same vein to blow that sweet, sweet christmas $$$ on!
- You’ve already started on the Kelly Sue DeConnick one-two punch of Avengers Assemble and Captain Marvel, so why not try Ghost? The Dark Horse characters is back in an all new series that’s only three issues in, and so far has been gorgeous and thrilling. I say David Aja is my favorite, but what I mean is that I want him and Ghost artist Phil Noto to fight for my affection Thunderdome-style. You will never, EVER regret picking up a book where Noto is slinging pencils.
- So. You like Matt Fraction and David Aja, eh? Well well well. How about we take that power couple (Ajtion? Fraca?) and throw in the man that brought back Bucky Barnes, the writer that made Captain America one of THE best books at Marvel….ED BRUBAKER! This is the Immortal Iron Fist, and I would be hard pressed to come up with a better Marvel series. This was one of the first books I cut my teeth on, and honey, it got me hook line and sinker. It’s the perfect blend of down and dirty Rand-style Kung Fu and gorgeous mysticism and mythology. I would eat this book if I could.
- Avengers, naturally! I can’t even begin to tell you what a GOOD TIME you’ve picked to buy your first comics! The core Avengers book is starting over bright and shiny…with a rotating cast of 18! I hope Tony is planning on adding a few extra bathrooms to the tower. Number one just came out, and if you’re a fan of Tony Stark wandering around in minimal clothing and displaying almost NO regard for personal space, this is for you!
- (Jonathan Hickman, who is currently writing that new Avengers book, just finished his tenure on Fantastic Four. And who is taking over that book, but your newly beloved Matt Fraction! If you like his style, which you clearly do, the new series has just started!)
- Okay. Okay. One more before I have to put pants on. You like Captain Marvel? Okay good. You like fun, kinda gritty, entertaining books? Okay. I see where we can take this. This right here is Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., and I am rec’ing it to you based on a few things. One? Monica Rambeau, recent guest star in Captain Marvel (and recent Captain Marvel herself) leads the team. Two? It’s Warren Ellis, comics and black humor maestro, as well as stunning artist Stuart Immonen. Three? It’s the funniest book I have ever read, ever. It’s a great skewering of Marvel and the superhero genre, and you can read it over and over. LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR. THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY BOOK. OR KOALA FRIENDLY. Or broccoli friendly, come to think of it.
Okay! I think that’s a pretty decent list of recommendations that you didn’t actually ask for. This goes for everyone else looking for post-christmas cash to burn. Just wait. You’ll get hooked. And then every month, you’ll come crying to Mama Flatbear, hopelessly in love with comic books.
Address all complaints to Iamsosorryaboutyourbankaccount@gmail.com
That’s not a real email address.
And I’m not sorry.
Marvel really needs to consider adopting ‘what the hell are these characters even thinking?’ as a tag line.
Some suggestions for the new and aspiring comics reader!
Avengers Assemble. If you are looking for a great book to slip on like a comfortable, silky nightgown (that metaphor got away from me), this is the one for you. It’s approachable for the movie crowd, but faithful enough to the rest of the comics reading audience. It’s fun, it’s fast paced, and it has a great roster of non-movie characters for you to meet and enjoy! Just like a silky nightgown. It’s only one book in to a new story arc by god-tier writist Kelly Sue Deconnick, so now is the best time to jump on!
Thor: God of Thunder. Only two issues in, this is the first book I’ve read in a while that made me go ‘Wow. Thor is a GOD. An actual honest-to-god-god’. This is a great way to break yourself in to the lovable Golden Retriever of the movie universe, and see how he rolls in the comics.
AVENGERS! The brand, spankin’, shiny and new AVENGERS starts TOMORROW! That’s issue number one, people. NUMBER ONE. With a roster of EIGHTEEN CHARACTERS, not only do you have the warm embrace of kids you know and love (Steve, Tony, Carol, Clint and more) but you’re meeting all sorts of new ones. Some that even I have never heard of! More than that, the art is absolutely stunning. Some of the best I’ve ever seen. And here’s the thing - I snuck a preview of this book at work tonight, and the Steve/Tony shippers are going to SHIP THEIR PANTS.
See what I did there?
Seriously though buy those books.
HO HO HO DOOT DOOT.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TUMBLR*! Cut these babies out, stick’em to some cardboard, punch a hole in the top, thread some ribbon, hang those bbs up…HAPPY HOLIDAYS ETC!
*Okay obviously these are all Christmas themed, and that is because that’s what I know. I figured it was safest to do what I know, as opposed to risk offending someone with a different background. SO. If you celebrate something other than Christmas at this time of year, PLEASE SEND ME AN ASK and educate me! Tell me what I can draw, and what characters! HOLIDAY THINGS FOR EVERYONE.
Clint Barton, riding through the glen and breaking down gender boundaires.
I’m totally late to the party but I SAW BRAVE TONIGHT AND ABLOOBLOOBLOO. IT WAS AWESOME.
Wrapping up commissions (With a couple of exceptions) with Avengers Christmas Cookie time for Paxie!
S.H.I.E.L.D + Supernatural why the hell not.
Up too late drawing shit again. Bartonlife2012.