Hawklife is hard.
Notorious arter and reader of comics.
This is mainly an Marvel Comics/movies + Lord of the Rings art blog with a slight smattering of Game of Thrones, Parks and Recreation, Community and more.
I am always happy to answer any asks sent my way!
This blog is occasionally NSFW and NOT spoiler-free. If you ever need me to tag anything, trigger or otherwise, please let me know!
God, look at the way he twists in the top one. I can’t tell if that’s Renner or CG. That’s incredible.
Jeremy Renner being fabulous on set
Come on, vogue. Let your Hawkeye move to the music. Hey hey hey.
Jeremy Renner / Bourne Legacy in Empire Magazine, July 2012
EDIT: Bonus Renner on the contents page, because I could only add 10 images.
(Feel free to use, a link back so other people can find them would be nice.)
I see a lot of people complaining about Jeremy Renner’s archery in the trailers for The Avengers.
Fair enough. He’s not a professional archer. Perhaps whoever trained him should have worked a little harder. Perhaps not. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I am in no way attempting to school or scold the naysayers, please just let me suggest a few things that people might not be considering.
In Terms Of The Movie.
- It’s a big movie. There is a lot going on, and a lot that needed to be done. Jeremy Renner is at the height of his fame, and at the height of making Really A Lot Of Movies. If there wasn’t time for a proper amount of training (like you would expect from a movie where the archer is the focus, like A Robin Hood movie or The Hunger Games), it’s a shame, but I would rather sacrifice form than a more important aspect of the movie.
- We have seen, what, ten minutes of footage? At the very most? The Avengers is two hours, and fifteen minutes long. This fandom seems to have a real problem with judging the entire movie on what we’ve seen in the trailer. If the movie comes out, and Renner spends the whole thing handling a bow like an idiot? I will give you that. But lets just calm our tits until we’ve seen the whole thing.
- Be thankful he’s not using the fucking compound bow from Thor.
- The stunts. Hawkeye/Jeremy Renner is not going to spend the entire movie standing square in front of a target. There is buttsliding. There is Falling Out Of Things That Are In The Air. For example. If were you currently in this position, would you be worried about your archery form?
Ah, Clint Barton. A Deathwish wrapped in a Hypcrite wrapped in a Man-Child wrapped in a Carnie. There’s a lot to the guy, most which probably won’t make it into the movie, but some of it may make you a little more forgiving of aforementioned Poor Archery Style.
- He is not clasically, or even really professionally, trained. A young Clint Barton ran away from an orphanage as a child, with his older brother, and joined the Carson Carnival of Travelling Wonders. Although he was originally trained with a sword (Bet THAT won’t make it into the movie!), he was soon trained to be proficient in archery by this guy.
or even ANY mention of his past at all, I’m having trouble seeing the part where he was professionally trained, by a coach, in the art of proper and professional archery form.
- His swag of trick arrows. Hawkeye is pretty famous for being able to do more than just stick-pointy-end-in-bad-guy. He has a plethora of trick arrows in his quiver that can and will be whipped out at any time to save the day. For example!
- Hawkeye isn’t even an original Avenger! The original lineup consisted of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, The Wasp, and Ant Man. Yep, no Captain America, either. Hawkeye was brought in when Marvel decided there just wasn’t enough Bronze Age weaponry in their books. So instead of focusing on the faults (archery form, not as much screen time as others, lack of buttflap, etc) why don’t we just thank our lucky starts that Hawkeye’s actually going to be on film? I, for one, never thought it was going to happen!
- I guess what I’m trying to say here is that Hawkeye is more than just the way he holds a bow. If it’s Renner’s fault, if it’s the archery consultant’s fault, who cares. He’s a great character, he’s in the movie, and hopefully that will have the added bonus of getting more people into the character, and more people taking up archery.
- Apologies if I’ve offended anyone with this. I’m not trying to tell anyone they are wrong, or stupid, or that they can’t express their displeasure with something on the internet. That, after all, is what the internet was invented for.
(The Compound Bow panel is from Amazing Spiderman featuring Hawkeye, which I recommend everyone reads for a GREAT insight to Clint’s character, and why being an Avenger is so important to him.)
Let me make it clear. You don’t like Hawkeye because a sexy guy is playing him.
You like him because he was the leader of the Thunderbolts. He was in the circus. He had to go through so much freaking bull shit just to even be accepted into the Avengers. He becomes one of Captain America’s great friends. He married Mockingbird. You like him because he is one of Earth’s Mightest heores, not because he’s in a movie with Robert Downey Junior and now just looks cool.
So get out, because you know nothing about the comic books. You’re just a little girl who thought, hey, I might as well hop on board with everyone else and pretend like I give a fuck.
Okay yeah. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but here’s the thing.
I work very, VERY hard in my every day real life with my comic store to remove the impression that comic book fans are eltist, snobbish, head-up-their-own-asses jerks. People like the poster above me are the reason why the comic book industry struggles. Without expansion and an influx of new fans now and then, the industry we all love and subscribe to will choke, and die.
The movie is going to bring in a lot of new fans. At absolute best, people are interested enough to buy comic, which gives money to the industry, and supports locally owned comic store. At the absolute worst, people buy movie tickets because of eye candy. I will be doing both.
I love Clint Barton. As Hawkeye, as Goliath, as Ronin, even his brief (and heartbreaking) stint as Captain America. But I don’t need any of that to enjoy the movie, and neither do new fans. Part of the fun of a movie like this is finding out these amazing facts about characters, after the fact, and joining a shiny new fandom.
So to every fledgling Avengers fan who read the above post, and was offended, I whole-heartedly apologize. This individual is not a representative of the comic book fandom, in which I have always felt safe, at home, and welcome. This person is the 1%, please ignore them, and enjoy your future in comic books. There’s SO MUCH TO LEARN.
“You gotta be kidding me! You know we’re in a bar, right?”
“I still got some work to do and the music helps me concentrate.”
“So does booze. Come on, have fun with me and the guys.”
“I’m not really a big fan of family reunions.”
“Alright. Come on and have fun just with me then.”
interviewer: how much action do you guys get?
scarlet: renner gets a lot of action.
renner: i get a lot of action. i sleep with all of them — all of them.
So I made this last night as my first attempt at using GIMP. I think it turned out all right…
My being paint-o-holic cannot be fixed. The fact that I had skipped one day simply got me lost in another sketch in the following 24 hours…
I’m getting more and more serious about the Avengers. Trust me, they are PURE JOY to paint, really. Any one of them… well, almost any one, as far as I’m rather blank towards either Hulk or Captain America (the latter has nothing to do with politics; he’s just too übermensch for my taste).
Remember ‘art deco’ Loki?
Here comes Hawkeye.
Not as subtle, as the drawings in this style are supposed to be (and yes, if the idea crosses your mind - I’m going to re-paint Loki in more solid way), but… in character, I think. And I made myself paint his eyes, just because my best friend asked - though I still feel more comfortable with leaving the eyes blank in my sketches.
Oh, and by the way: you might’ve seen the background hawk-shape here. GUESS, who’s going to occupy the other shape xD
So… enjoy the view and the sound.)
I suppose the song fits ;3