they call him The Kawaii Soldier
Notorious arter and reader of comics.
This is mainly an Marvel Comics/movies + Lord of the Rings art blog with a slight smattering of Game of Thrones, Parks and Recreation, Community and more.
I am always happy to answer any asks sent my way!
This blog is occasionally NSFW and NOT spoiler-free. If you ever need me to tag anything, trigger or otherwise, please let me know!
WHAT THE JUNK. You can now buy this print on, well, fukkin everything!
yo thanks freyastormborn for screaming this as we spilled out of the theater on thursday night.
Captain America 3: Someone Should Really Call Clint I Mean Seriously Like Half His Stuff Was Still At SHIELD…
“This is the trajectory of my life. Every time things are finally stable, finally good…something sudden happens to wreck it all. And then I learn to live with that, and after a while…worse-off becomes the new normal. And then it starts all over again.” (Captain America #616)
HO HO HO DOOT DOOT.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TUMBLR*! Cut these babies out, stick’em to some cardboard, punch a hole in the top, thread some ribbon, hang those bbs up…HAPPY HOLIDAYS ETC!
*Okay obviously these are all Christmas themed, and that is because that’s what I know. I figured it was safest to do what I know, as opposed to risk offending someone with a different background. SO. If you celebrate something other than Christmas at this time of year, PLEASE SEND ME AN ASK and educate me! Tell me what I can draw, and what characters! HOLIDAY THINGS FOR EVERYONE.
DELICIOUS WINTER SOLDIER.
Okay, there are technically two Winter Soldier arcs. The one that’s 11 (I think) issues in is the current one, that is about Bucky post-fear itself, when almost everyone still thinks he’s dead (As a result of getting the majority of his chest blown out). It’s him and Natasha dealing with the sins of their past, and it is REALLY REALLY GREAT. You can find the first collected trade and the most recent issues in your local comic store, or right here in digital copies!
The first Winter Soldier arc is the one you will usually see me screaming about. It was the story arc in the Captain America that ret-conned Bucky’s death, reinvented him as The Winter Soldier, and brought him back into Steve’s life. It’s an incredible book for so many reasons -
- The art. Ed Brubaker, the writer and James Barnes enthusiast, has a knack for pairing his stories with gritty, street-level-hero artists. Epting and Lark are a perfect example if this.
- Steve as Steve should be. I love Steve Rogers, but he’s an angry man. A deeply angry, hypocritical, self-important man. You get to see all of this in the original Winter Soldier, but portrayed delicately enough so that he’s still Captain America. I love Steve to death, and I love him the most when you get to see him as a fully formed, flawed, scarred man.
- FALCON. HEY. MARVEL MOVIE UNIVERSE FANS. YOU WANT AN INTRODUCTION TO SAM FUCKING WILSON BEFORE HE SHOWS UP IN THE WINTER SOLDIER MOVIE? Fucking Falcon. Fucking Falcon.
- One of the sweetest moments between Steve and Tony you will ever see, ever.
- FANTASTIC VILLIANS. Also a great introduction to the evolution of The Red Skull, post-WW2. It’s also a nice little introduction to his batshit insane daughter, Synthia, who would grow up to ‘kill’ Bucky in the Fear Itself arc.
- Sharon Carter. Okay, I don’t like Sharon. I don’t like her mostly because I feel like she is defined by her relationship with the men in her life. She is not treated well by most writers, and is generally shoved into the background. She is portrayed as whiny, and irritating. But in Winter Soldier, she and Steve have broken up, and she is taking NONE OF HIS SHIT. I actually really, really enjoy her in this arc.
- The greatest panel of all time. When Steve finally confronts Bucky, who has been stripped of his memories, well…you will know it when you see it. There is a reason why this story arc racked up so many awards. It is hands down my favorite comic story of all time. INCLUDING NEXTWAVE.
The entire collection has recently been re-issues in one big whopping $25 trade, which is a hell of a deal. You can pick it up at your local comic store, or you can get Vol. One and Vol. Two in digital!
Fair warning: The end is going to kill you. It will break your heart. So I suggest also looking for the story arc that follows, which is called Red Menace. That will supply you with CONSIDERABLY MORE emotional closure, as well as introducing some of the most kick-ass British superheroes out there (LADY JACQUELINE HOLLA.)
Enjoy! And come cry in my ask box when you can’t handle all of your Bucky feels!
FUCKIN AVENGERS PIRATES. YOU KNOW WHAT’S UP.
Okay so. Mary. Fucking Mary. Wrote this little Clint/Coulson Pirate AU for a meme. THIS ONE HERE ACTUALLY. And it’s just fucking amazing. And I want it. I want an Avengers Pirate AU.
And she said she would write one. But only if this post gets 100 notes. She doesn’t think enough people would be into it. Or she’s trying to torture me. One or the other. SO LIKE IT. REBLOG IT. GET 100 NOTEs.
And not only will she write an Avengers Pirate AU, but I’ll illustrate it.
Now off to draw pirate Steve and Tony, Pirate Bruce, Pirate everything……
He was the one who would always have her back, not because he thought she needed any help, but simply because it made her happy.
She was the one who always found him in his darkest moments and understood. She didn’t try to rationalize it, didn’t try to belittle it, she just accepted all the worst… and stood next to him anyway.
In the end, they’d always find their way back.
Maybe it was appropriate they named him after Winter… His whole life that had been the one time of year he’d felt the most powerless.