Long time listener first time caller (really appreciate how kind and warm you and your wife are), and I'm looking to get into reading Iron Man comics, but I have no idea where to start (because my comic book-loving best friend doesn't much care for him, which, you know, fair enough). I know him because of the movies, and because I follow enough marvel fans/tumblrs and don't stress over spoilers. Any possible direction you could point me in?
INDEED I CAN!
The very best place to start with Iron Man is where most of us started with him, and really the book where he became a headlining character for Marvel.
Matt Fraction’s Invincible Iron Man.
Two great tastes that taste great together, right? This series has been collected in twelve (I think) trades and should be available at any comic store worth their salt. This series is very self contained, runs through a couple of major events, and is an absolute pleasure to read. It’s what got me into Iron Man, as well as a lot of the big Stark fans that I know.
It’s also the reason why the movie was so good ;)
Find out more here! And trust me when I say that the final story arc, Stark: Disassembled, is so fucking stunning it will blow your mind. Enjoy!
Why do we even have that lever.
The term manguish is literally the funniest thing I’ve heard in like, three weeks.
HAPPY NEW YEARS, BABY MONEY AVENGERS STYLE. (For those just joining us, The origin of the Baby Money Avengers.)
With, as always, backup from Valkyrie and their long-suffering handler, Phil Coulson.
- If you’re wondering why Daimon Hellstrom has a trash can, you need to educate yourself.
- If you don’t think Captain Marvel has a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire, WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME.
- And if you disagree that the BMA are tearing shit up in a golden, rocket-powered stretch Hummer…sir, please remove yourself from the internet.
I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL 2013!!
So I think, by now, we all know that Doc Ock has taken up residence inside of Peter Parker’s body. And we all remember Ock and Tony’s last encounter, in Matt Fraction’s Invincible Iron Man run, yes?
I’m just saying. I need to see this at some point.
BTW, all of this genius comes from the brain of Dragonklaw82. I just put arts to words.
WELL. I HOPE YOU’RE ALL QUITE HAPPY! Not only did I hit my original follower goal, but I just hit 3k. I think that’s deserving of a little remix of my original offering!
Thank you all, it really makes me smile :)
I don’t usually post warm-ups, buuuuut…
NEVER FORGET THAT YOU ALL WANTED THIS.
Thank you for the 2000 followers :)
I am SO GLAD to hear that! You’ve picked the three best comics I can recommend. David Aja is my all time favorite artist, and Carol Danvers is my hero. You’re a nerd after my own heart!
So, as you like what you’ve read so far, let me recommend some more in the same vein to blow that sweet, sweet christmas $$$ on!
- You’ve already started on the Kelly Sue DeConnick one-two punch of Avengers Assemble and Captain Marvel, so why not try Ghost? The Dark Horse characters is back in an all new series that’s only three issues in, and so far has been gorgeous and thrilling. I say David Aja is my favorite, but what I mean is that I want him and Ghost artist Phil Noto to fight for my affection Thunderdome-style. You will never, EVER regret picking up a book where Noto is slinging pencils.
- So. You like Matt Fraction and David Aja, eh? Well well well. How about we take that power couple (Ajtion? Fraca?) and throw in the man that brought back Bucky Barnes, the writer that made Captain America one of THE best books at Marvel….ED BRUBAKER! This is the Immortal Iron Fist, and I would be hard pressed to come up with a better Marvel series. This was one of the first books I cut my teeth on, and honey, it got me hook line and sinker. It’s the perfect blend of down and dirty Rand-style Kung Fu and gorgeous mysticism and mythology. I would eat this book if I could.
- Avengers, naturally! I can’t even begin to tell you what a GOOD TIME you’ve picked to buy your first comics! The core Avengers book is starting over bright and shiny…with a rotating cast of 18! I hope Tony is planning on adding a few extra bathrooms to the tower. Number one just came out, and if you’re a fan of Tony Stark wandering around in minimal clothing and displaying almost NO regard for personal space, this is for you!
- (Jonathan Hickman, who is currently writing that new Avengers book, just finished his tenure on Fantastic Four. And who is taking over that book, but your newly beloved Matt Fraction! If you like his style, which you clearly do, the new series has just started!)
- Okay. Okay. One more before I have to put pants on. You like Captain Marvel? Okay good. You like fun, kinda gritty, entertaining books? Okay. I see where we can take this. This right here is Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., and I am rec’ing it to you based on a few things. One? Monica Rambeau, recent guest star in Captain Marvel (and recent Captain Marvel herself) leads the team. Two? It’s Warren Ellis, comics and black humor maestro, as well as stunning artist Stuart Immonen. Three? It’s the funniest book I have ever read, ever. It’s a great skewering of Marvel and the superhero genre, and you can read it over and over. LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR. THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY BOOK. OR KOALA FRIENDLY. Or broccoli friendly, come to think of it.
Okay! I think that’s a pretty decent list of recommendations that you didn’t actually ask for. This goes for everyone else looking for post-christmas cash to burn. Just wait. You’ll get hooked. And then every month, you’ll come crying to Mama Flatbear, hopelessly in love with comic books.
Address all complaints to Iamsosorryaboutyourbankaccount@gmail.com
That’s not a real email address.
And I’m not sorry.
Am I the 100,000,000th person to make this joke? DO I GET A PRIZE?
But for real though, one day I need to record Nick doing his Obie Lebowski. It’s a riot.
I am SO glad to hear that! If all I accomplish in this life is getting people to read and love new comics, I will DIE HAPPY!!
From what I remember, 500 was a really great place to jump in. It was still dealing with Tony re-booting his brain in the aftermath of Extremis and Civil War, and was attempting to remember some of the more dangerous secrets he had since forgotten. As a special bonus, you get some lovely Peter Parker time.
It also sets the tracks for the stories to come, which makes it an even better starting point. It’s definitely one of the books that I would recommend as a jump-on for Fraction’s run, and Iron Man in general. Enjoy, and well done on taking advantage of such a great sale!
(For anyone that missed the .99 sale yesterday, books #500 to #509 are now only $1.99 on comixology.com, instead of the regular full $3.99. Go on! Dive in while the diving is good!)
Baby Money Avengers. (Click the first to embiggen)
Sometimes when it’s really late, and Starkexpos is drunk, we enable eachother and come up with really, really, really stupid stuff. And then I blow off working for a day in order to draw it all.
LET’S FACE IT THIS IS NOT THE WORST THING YOU HAVE CAUGHT ME DRAWING.
It’s Tony’s new armor.
Mandarin is not impressed.
Marvel Bitch Squad
Inspired by this post. The best Bitch Face Posses are color coded, you know.
Edit: OKAY, OKAY. SINCE YOU ALL FELT SO BAD FOR CLINT.