"Thor likes this grocery store. We think it might have something to do with the carts. :)"
Notorious arter and reader of comics.
This is mainly an Marvel Comics/movies + Lord of the Rings art blog with a slight smattering of Game of Thrones, Parks and Recreation, Community and more.
I am always happy to answer any asks sent my way!
This blog is occasionally NSFW and NOT spoiler-free. If you ever need me to tag anything, trigger or otherwise, please let me know!
I am SO GLAD to hear that! You’ve picked the three best comics I can recommend. David Aja is my all time favorite artist, and Carol Danvers is my hero. You’re a nerd after my own heart!
So, as you like what you’ve read so far, let me recommend some more in the same vein to blow that sweet, sweet christmas $$$ on!
- You’ve already started on the Kelly Sue DeConnick one-two punch of Avengers Assemble and Captain Marvel, so why not try Ghost? The Dark Horse characters is back in an all new series that’s only three issues in, and so far has been gorgeous and thrilling. I say David Aja is my favorite, but what I mean is that I want him and Ghost artist Phil Noto to fight for my affection Thunderdome-style. You will never, EVER regret picking up a book where Noto is slinging pencils.
- So. You like Matt Fraction and David Aja, eh? Well well well. How about we take that power couple (Ajtion? Fraca?) and throw in the man that brought back Bucky Barnes, the writer that made Captain America one of THE best books at Marvel….ED BRUBAKER! This is the Immortal Iron Fist, and I would be hard pressed to come up with a better Marvel series. This was one of the first books I cut my teeth on, and honey, it got me hook line and sinker. It’s the perfect blend of down and dirty Rand-style Kung Fu and gorgeous mysticism and mythology. I would eat this book if I could.
- Avengers, naturally! I can’t even begin to tell you what a GOOD TIME you’ve picked to buy your first comics! The core Avengers book is starting over bright and shiny…with a rotating cast of 18! I hope Tony is planning on adding a few extra bathrooms to the tower. Number one just came out, and if you’re a fan of Tony Stark wandering around in minimal clothing and displaying almost NO regard for personal space, this is for you!
- (Jonathan Hickman, who is currently writing that new Avengers book, just finished his tenure on Fantastic Four. And who is taking over that book, but your newly beloved Matt Fraction! If you like his style, which you clearly do, the new series has just started!)
- Okay. Okay. One more before I have to put pants on. You like Captain Marvel? Okay good. You like fun, kinda gritty, entertaining books? Okay. I see where we can take this. This right here is Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., and I am rec’ing it to you based on a few things. One? Monica Rambeau, recent guest star in Captain Marvel (and recent Captain Marvel herself) leads the team. Two? It’s Warren Ellis, comics and black humor maestro, as well as stunning artist Stuart Immonen. Three? It’s the funniest book I have ever read, ever. It’s a great skewering of Marvel and the superhero genre, and you can read it over and over. LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR. THIS IS NOT A KID FRIENDLY BOOK. OR KOALA FRIENDLY. Or broccoli friendly, come to think of it.
Okay! I think that’s a pretty decent list of recommendations that you didn’t actually ask for. This goes for everyone else looking for post-christmas cash to burn. Just wait. You’ll get hooked. And then every month, you’ll come crying to Mama Flatbear, hopelessly in love with comic books.
Address all complaints to Iamsosorryaboutyourbankaccount@gmail.com
That’s not a real email address.
And I’m not sorry.
I just…can’t anymore
ALL OF TONYS VILLAINS ARE BAD TOUCH
SERIOUSLY? TENTICALS=YOU CAN DAMN WELL BELIEVE THEY’RE GOING FOR TONY FIRST
TONY NOOO!!! People really need to keep their tentacles off of him. Apparently that’s not easy to do.
I swear to god, I thought that text on the right said ‘SLUT COMPROMISED’.
1. A-babies vs X-babies was a one-shot book written by baby maestro Skottie Young, and drawn by Gurihiru Studios. Sadly it starts and ends with one issue, but what an issue it was!
2. It absolutely IS possible to start from the beginning of both runaway series…es, but right now it might be a little tricky. I know there are some re-prints of Hawkeye coming out, but I can’t say for Capt. Marvel. The first trade for CM should be out soon, but if you can’t wait, you can always pick up the books and then start pre-ordering them online, here and here.
3. OH BOY ARE YOU IN LUCK! You’re coming in smack-bang in the middle of a little re-tooling that Marvel is going through. Affectionately referred to as MARVEL NOW!, not only are the majority of Marvel’s existing books starting over with new creators and story arcs, there are also five new titles for you to get your sticky fingers on! Note: do not touch comics with sticky fingers. Some of the new titles have already come out, and this will continue through until March next year. You can find all the information you need right here!
I would personally recommend Avengers, which starts today. Thor: God of Thunder which is two issues in, and the new Deadpool book. Two issues in, it has rekindled my love of a character I was thoroughly sick of.
And as always, I’m pushing Avengers Assemble, which I believe to be the BEST book for new comic readers. It’s easy, fun and approachable, and the seamless blending of Movie and Comic Universe characterization makes you feel like you already know and love these super dorks. The new story arc has started with Issue #9, and it’s the perfect starting point. You’re mad if you don’t pick this book up!
Hope that helped! And remember kids, PRE-ORDER your books online and in stores - not only does that ensure that you will get your preciousss comics, but it shows Marvel which books are popular and will continue to sell!
Marvel really needs to consider adopting ‘what the hell are these characters even thinking?’ as a tag line.
Some suggestions for the new and aspiring comics reader!
Avengers Assemble. If you are looking for a great book to slip on like a comfortable, silky nightgown (that metaphor got away from me), this is the one for you. It’s approachable for the movie crowd, but faithful enough to the rest of the comics reading audience. It’s fun, it’s fast paced, and it has a great roster of non-movie characters for you to meet and enjoy! Just like a silky nightgown. It’s only one book in to a new story arc by god-tier writist Kelly Sue Deconnick, so now is the best time to jump on!
Thor: God of Thunder. Only two issues in, this is the first book I’ve read in a while that made me go ‘Wow. Thor is a GOD. An actual honest-to-god-god’. This is a great way to break yourself in to the lovable Golden Retriever of the movie universe, and see how he rolls in the comics.
AVENGERS! The brand, spankin’, shiny and new AVENGERS starts TOMORROW! That’s issue number one, people. NUMBER ONE. With a roster of EIGHTEEN CHARACTERS, not only do you have the warm embrace of kids you know and love (Steve, Tony, Carol, Clint and more) but you’re meeting all sorts of new ones. Some that even I have never heard of! More than that, the art is absolutely stunning. Some of the best I’ve ever seen. And here’s the thing - I snuck a preview of this book at work tonight, and the Steve/Tony shippers are going to SHIP THEIR PANTS.
See what I did there?
Seriously though buy those books.
The new series you are looking for is FEARLESS DEFENDERS! Written by personal favorite Cullen Bunn and drawn by Will Sliney, Fearless Defenders sees Misty Knight and Valkyrie (Of Baby Money Avengers fame, ho ho ho…) on a quest to assemble a team of ass-kicking and name-taking heroines. Dani Moonstar has been the only one listed so far, but it looks promising!
As for Carol and Jess, you have a STACK of comics coming your way! Although they’re not sharing panels yet, our girls are tearing it up in Kelly Sue Deconnick’s Avengers Assemble. Pick you up Issue #9 which came out a couple of weeks ago, it’s a PERFECT starting point!
From what I’ve seen in preview art, they’re also going to be sharing some hero time in Jonathan Hickman’s new AVENGERS, which will henceforth be referred to as Hickvengers. If you guys missed out on how he revolutionized Fantastic Four, now is your chance to get in on the action. Hickvengers starts this December.
(I also hear rumors that Jess will start to show her face a little more often in KSD’s Captain Marvel. Which you should already be reading. Right? RIGHT?)
Now in terms of books of the past, you can catch up with some Carol and Jessica hijinks in Brian Reed’s Ms Marvel series, which ran for a good 50 issues. Look for Jessica post-Civil War, but listen to me when I say that some big shocks are coming your way!
Hope that helped! And remember, if you are interested in these books, PRE-ORDER THEM! That’s how Marvel knows to keep printing them! Pre-order either at your local store, or at one of your friendly online comics-shilling sites!
LISTEN UP. I am about to get REAL political on your asses.
The Presidential election is in 41 days. Sneaks up fast, huh? Are you registered to vote? You should definitely be registered to vote. This election might not feel as monumental as the last one, but it is EVERY BIT AS IMPORTANT.
I cannot vote in this election, because I am not an American citizen, and that breaks my heart. BUT YOU CAN, ALL OF MY ELIGIBLE FOLLOWERS! And the first thing you need to do is follow the links above, and register!
AND HERE IS THE REALLY GOOD PART. I want to get the word out. SPREAD IT AROUND TUMBLR. So on midnight Thursday, I am going to randomly pick FIVE PEOPLE who have reblogged this post, and I will draw you something. Up to two people, anyone you want, doing anything you want. You want Hawkeye in hot pants and Black Widow dressed like a penguin? Done. You want Captain America crying because he’s technically dead and can’t vote? FUCKING DONE. I will draw ANY FANDOM, ANY PAIRING, ANY CHARACTERS, ANYTHING. Even shit I don’t like. All you have to do is reblog this post, AND GET THE WORD OUT!
Guys, this is important. In the face of having a lot of rights taken away from us, the one right we are currently assured of is the RIGHT TO VOTE. Don’t trivialize it by throwing it away.
(Okay now I am not telling ANYONE WHO TO VOTE FOR, but c’mon, this IS Tumblr, and I think we all know that we bleed mostly blue around here. Please, people, keep Romney out of the White House. I am not kidding when I say I will be leaving this country if Romney is President. As a homosexual, a woman, and an immigrant, I won’t feel safe here anymore. America has always been my dream, but I will give it up for my safety if I have to.)
I AM DEAD SERIOUS ABOUT THIS. You want a drawing? YOU REBLOG AND YOU REGISTER TO VOTE. And then YOU ACTUALLY VOTE. Vote early! Vote in 41 days! Vote with no shoes on! I don’t care how you do it, JUST DO IT.
For the bros out there in my state, North Carolina, here is how to find out WHERE to vote, when it’s time to do so. For everyone else curious, google ‘Where And When To Vote’ and add the name of your state. Guys I am begging you. I know the system doesn’t always work for us, but this is the one chance we get to direct our own futures.
(And to my Civil War fans, I am WELL AWARE of the irony of Tony Stark holding a sign that says REGISTER….)
ALL the advice for this girl!
Here is the post I made earlier concerning getting into comics, and being intimidated by the decades of history. I will repeat the most important thing - you’re not going to know everything! You’re NEVER going to know everything! The owner of my local comic store doesn’t know everything! Don’t ever let that stop you from picking up a book - get used to being a little confused, and just jump in head-first! I will always be here to help anyone that needs it, as will marchingjaybird and starkexpos, and comicvine.com is a comic fan’s best friend!
Now, specifically! Avengersssss, my crack. My bread and butter! There are a few recommendations in the earlier post, and I would like to add Avengers Assemble to that. Great book, familiar cast, new story arc starting in November with issue #9! the book is half comics-verse and half movie-verse, so it’s a really great way to dip your feet in the water and see if you like it. Get it at your local comic store, or check out the first six issues on comiXology.com!
Now as for Deadpool, I can recommend two courses of action! First of all, let me make something crystal. I’m not a huge Deadpool fan. When he’s well written, he’s amazing, but the problem with ‘funny’ characters is that they quickly turn into ‘irritating’ characters. So if I am recc’ing something as a non-Deapool fan, you KNOW I must have loved it!
Cable and Deadpool is one of my most favorite series of all time, and was one of the books that I broke into comics through. Deadpool is HILARIOUS in this, made even moreso by pairing him with the very droll and deadpan Cable (Who is basically the son of Scott Summers from the FUUU~TUUUURE and pretty much gets to the point where he thinks that he’s jesus. Yep.). The series is over and gathered up into collected volumes, so it’s an easy book to start on!
And the best thing? This is a long series, so it runs straight through Marvel events such as Civil War, without getting totally involved. You get a good look at the recent history of the Marvel U, without having to smother yourself in a thousand different books. Look for cameos by Cap, Bucky, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and more. You can thank me later for introducing you to Bob, Agent of Hydra.
And now, the second course of action, and here is where it gets REALLY exciting! Deadpool is getting a shiny new book in the upcoming Marvel Now relaunch, written in part by comedian Brian Posehn! I am VERY excited for this book, and hope to get back into Deadpool through it. More than that, it’s going to be a perfect jumping-in point for new readers! That means you!
And here is my last piece of advice. If you have a local comic book store? Make friends. Go. Visit. Introduce yourself to the people working there. I can only help so much, as can the rest of the internet - there is NOTHING like having a solid relationship with your LCS. If you are lucky enough to have a good comic store within driving distance, it will be worth it’s weight in gold. I know it can be intimidating, but you will never regret trying!
Filling my sketchbook with Avengers at ~fancy partiiiiies…
Clint ain’t having none of your bullshit tuxedos.